About Me

My photo
The McDermott Scholars Award covers all expenses of a superb four-year academic education at The University of Texas at Dallas, in concert with a diverse array of intensive extracurricular experiences, including internships, travel, and cultural enrichment.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Waxing poetic on the charms of Monterrey


Wall art on the side of a building

I like how everyone plays soccer here,
But for variety’s sake, I don’t like how everyone plays soccer here.
I like how Mexican food is made of tortillas, meat, and cheese,
But for variety’s sake, I don’t like how Mexican food is made of tortillas, meat, and cheese.


Poseidon fountain

I like how you take a taxi everywhere,
But for safety’s sake, I don’t like how you take a taxi everywhere.
I like how the hot dog vender across the street sells weed,
But for safety’s sake, I don’t like how the hot dog vender across the street sells weed.


Soon to be angry taxi driver (really not my fault)

I like how nightclubs blanket the city,
But for my liver’s sake, I don’t like how nightclubs blanket the city.
I like how alcohol is sold at every store,
But for my liver’s sake, I don’t like how alcohol is sold at every store.


Façade of the “Iron Palace” mall

I like how there are many gift and souvenir shops,
But for solvency’s sake, I don’t like how there are many gift and souvenir shops.
I like how there are several gentlemen’s clubs,
But for solvency’s sake, I don’t like how there are several gentlemen’s clubs.


Used to be an outdoor theater downtown

I like how the atmosphere is so dry in Monterrey,
But for my throat’s sake, I don’t like how the atmosphere is so dry in Monterrey.
I like how all foods are served spicy,
But for my throat’s sake, I don’t like how all foods are served spicy.


A mother re-hydrating a daughter

I like how we live in dorms at Tec de Monterrey,
But for privacy’s sake, I don’t like how we live in dorms at Tec de Monterrey.
I like how the maid cleans our rooms each morning,
But for privacy’s sake, I don’t like how the maid cleans our rooms each morning.


Hawaii 5-0 restaurant

I like how restaurants are open late into the night,
But for my stomach’s sake, I don’t like how restaurants are open late into the night.
I like how tacos are sold at every street corner,
But for my stomach’s sake, I don’t like how tacos are sold at every street corner.


Some weird Americans
Left to right: Ramiro, Julie, & Chris


I like how many students are fluent in both Spanish and English,
But for my ego’s sake, I don’t like how many students are fluent in both Spanish and English.
I like how all the girls here are incredibly attractive,
But for my ego’s sake, I don’t like how all the girls here are incredibly attractive.


Charlie and his girlfriend

I like how I learned a lot of Spanish.
I like how juice is made from fresh fruit.
I like how the Spanish rock station plays awesome music.
I love how I’ve made friends for life.


Stuffed into the backseat of a taxi – Mexican style
Left to Right: me, Stacie, Heather, & Mila

No comments:

Post a Comment