About Me

My photo
The McDermott Scholars Award covers all expenses of a superb four-year academic education at The University of Texas at Dallas, in concert with a diverse array of intensive extracurricular experiences, including internships, travel, and cultural enrichment.

Monday, September 08, 2008

Greece Part 2


(This picture was taken at the top of the Delion Temple of Apollo on the island of Paros in Greece.)

Hey Everyone,

Since I wrote last time, a lot has happened. I recently finished my internship on the island of Sifnos, and have been working mostly on the documentary. I have done some traveling to other islands, and have found some really interesting local stories for the documentary. On the island of Paros, for example, there is a cave that was inhabited by THE first lyrical poet Archilochos, when he self-exhiled himself because he caused his parents-in-law to kill themselves (he had a twisted sense of humor). Anyway, there is a fisherman on the island who will gladly take you to his cave, at the very top of the highest point near the shore and watch you climb up to the top, and when you stop to think about it, there is no way he would have ever chosen that cave to live in...so you go back to town and find out the fisherman just picked the first cave he saw. Heh. If you want to see the real cave, you will just have to see the documentary when I get home.

Along with the documentary, I've found time to chill out on the many beautiful beaches in Greece and meet some pretty interesting people along the way. I am getting a little homesick, and will not miss certain things all-too-European (i.e. bathrooms, showers, ketchup, exchange rates, etc.) Anyway, I hope everyone had just as awesome of a summer as I have had, and I will see everyone soon!

Holly