About Me

My photo
The McDermott Scholars Award covers all expenses of a superb four-year academic education at The University of Texas at Dallas, in concert with a diverse array of intensive extracurricular experiences, including internships, travel, and cultural enrichment.

Friday, November 07, 2008

Rome, Pompeii, Sorrento, and Siena

June 2008

6/13/08
These past two days of my trip have been really awesome!

Yesterday we went to the Vatican, which was just an amazing experience. One of the best advantages of going with a program like this: we got to skip all of the lines, which looked to be an hour long or so, and we had a guided tour of the whole thing. First we went through the Vatican museum which is chock full of simply amazing works of art. A lot of them are very famous and I studied in my art classes and I was just so happy to see them in person, like the Laocoön and the Apollo Belvedere. One thing that surprised me was that they let us take pictures everywhere if we didn't use a flash, excluding only the Sistine chapel. Thus it wouldn't surprise me if I took a hundred pictures. The Sistine chapel ceiling and Michelangelo's Last Judgement over the altar were wonderful and definitely different than seeing prints of them. To see the ceiling above you so enormously you are absolutely absorbed in the art. I was so awestruck and excited to be in there I was quite literally trembling.