About Me

My photo
The McDermott Scholars Award covers all expenses of a superb four-year academic education at The University of Texas at Dallas, in concert with a diverse array of intensive extracurricular experiences, including internships, travel, and cultural enrichment.

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Christina in Canterbury, England!




I can't believe it's been over a month since I arrived in Canterbury, England. The time has passed so quickly and I am already dreading the
end of my stay here, even though it is another nearly six weeks away.
Living in Canterbury is amazing. I am staying in the top flat of what used to be an old wool mill right near the Westgate Towers of the City Centre. From my balcony I can see the famous Canterbury Cathedral and the medieval West Gate, reminding me every day that I'm not in Texas anymore. Traveling around Kent, I have gotten to walk through country fields (recreating Pride and Prejudice in my mind and fancying myself Elizabeth Bennett), visit the seaside at Whitstable, visit the beautiful grounds of Leeds Castle, and go to a barbecue at a country cottage while dozens of sheep looked on.

It's really neat to be immersed in so much history and tradition.
Visiting the Cathedral or a castle and hearing stories of what has taken place here over the centuries is a bit different from my surroundings in Richardson. Being here during the World Cup has also been fun because everyone is so passionate about it. Listening to a cab driver complain about the teams performance and a woman bartender at a pub yelling at a falling player to get up and stop whining were amusing peeks into the culture here. Now it's time for me to get back to work, but at least I will be able to enjoy the beautiful view of Canterbury from the University!

No comments:

Post a Comment